Kelly - Salem, Oregon

This I Believe…that most people are inatly good. When given the choice they choose what is best for others… along with what is best for themselves. I ended up homeless as a teenager and spent years hitchhiking across America. I learned that people care. It was only the other street folks that I ever had to worry about stealing from me or hurting me somehow. Those that had cars, houses or just lives that they were enjoying never harmed me in any way. We want others to do well, to eat, have a place to sleep and we will make sure that happens for those around us or that we encounter. So many people took care of me as a smelly, drugg addicted youth it has changed my life. I now have spent my life creating shelter programs and developing youth organizations to help other kids that are in situations like mine was. I have a house, a car payment, the full time job and four kids now. At no time though did I not have clothes to wear, or a blanket at night or go too long without a meal, I could always find some kind person to share what they had so that I could survive another day. Once I had lost my shoes and the next ride I got took me to the shoe store and bought me shoes telling me how he hopes that if his little girl were out in the world like I was that someone would buy her a pair of shoes too. I would be fed and given a place to stay or money or some folks prayed for me… people would call my parents to tell them I was alive. America is a place of love and wonderful people and like the Girl Scouts say… we try to make the world a better place and do a good turn daily. I have slept in most parks throughout the United States…People’s Park in Berkey, Golden Gate Park, Central Park, in subway tunnels in NYC, on the sands of Pacific Beach in San Deigo, next to the Seattle Space Needle, along the turnpike in Pennsylvania…I now walk the earth without fear; knowing that people are good and that if I were to encouter something bad… there would be a crowd of wonderful people to help take care of whatever happened and make things better somehow. This I just don’t beleive… this I know.