Allison - Houston, Texas

I believe that in today’s world, religion has lost some of its traditions and become way too commercialized. Religion has become more of a fashion statement in the past few years. Everywhere you look these days there are those shirts that advertise one’s religion. Is it really necessary to display and advertise your faith to those around you? I really do not see the need to walk around wearing a shirt that says “Jesus” in the same font and colors as a “Reese’s” candy bar. There are also those religious shirts that look like the Starbucks logo, but say something related to Christianity instead. Also, recently celebrities have started getting tattoos of the rosary on their ankle, like Nicole Richie, and because she has that, now others see it as fashionable and copy her even though they probably are not even sure what the rosary is.

Churches have also become more of a social hang out than a religious place. My friend’s church looks like this huge business building, and actually has a Starbucks Coffee Shop inside their church, with a drive thru. I find it somewhat odd to have a Starbucks inside a church and it makes it seem more like a place to go and socialize, than to worship.

I have noticed that some of the people who are attending churches are somewhat fake and just want reassurance that they are doing good things. It seems that a majority of the people today just go to church to feel like they are doing something good. For example, my mom went to this seminar at one of her friend’s churches. The topic was all about how people are too materialistic, but the ironic thing is that all the speakers were dressed up in all designer brands like Coach and Gucci. They are speaking about how parents need to teach their kids to be nice to the people who live in apartments, and were basically stating that they are better than people that live in apartments. That does not sound like a religious thing to me. Also, these women that were speaking, bragged about the charities that they give to, and really wanted to get approval for all the “good” things they are doing, which to me, takes away from doing a good deed. Doing something so others have a positive opinion about you does not necessarily make you a descent, religious person.

Do not get me wrong here, I am a somewhat religious Catholic, but I just do not think that organized religion is what it should be today. I have started to be a little skeptical of organized religion because it has become more of a social gathering and one big advertisement. I really believe that traditions and religious points need to come back into the sermons in church.