Susan - Latrobe, Pennsylvania
Themes: love, parenthood

I believe in the extraordinary power of community and I believe that we will soon be able to welcome a child into our family. My husband and I are both fortified by loving parents who taught us the importance of family and honor. Enriched by a warm, supportive and stable environment, we both treat others as we wish to be treated. Thanks to our parents, we learned early on that there is more than one way to accomplish something and that we become what we believe.

Our wedding vows reflect our mutual moral base: “I take you to be my husband/my wife: to laugh with you in joy, to grieve with you in sorrow, to grow with you in love, serving humanity in peace and hope as long as we both shall live”. In the last three years, my husband and I have lost jobs, beloved pets and the possibility to have children naturally. We have faced these tender mercies with faith, humility and hope, secure in the knowledge that there is always a reason for things, whether or not we understand it. As we emerge from this overwhelming period, equal measures of humor and determination allow us to reach outside of ourselves in order to offer love and solace to each other and to those around us. Our friends and families have shared in our heart-opening experiences over these past few years and we are enormously grateful to all of them.

In this troubled, troubled world, it is our privilege and responsibility to provide a child with the opportunity to love and to be loved, to inspire him or her to speak out when another can’t, to learn as much as possible, to laugh and to cry and to make a difference in this world; in short, to live an honorable life. We are blessed with wonderful family and friends, a firm grasp of reality and unbridled optimism. Although the path is serpentine, we believe that we will have the honor to share our hearts and our home with a child so that we might all realize our vast potential.