Jason - Camas, Washington

Simple Grades

Twice a year you get a final progress report home with your grades and GPA on it. You look down the list and read off: C, B, D, C, B, and C. What do you spend your time doing after school? Playing WOW (World of Warcraft)? Watching TV? Now, think about the kid who looks at his report card and constantly reads off all A’s. What do they do different than you? Are they just naturally smart? NO. They don’t sit on their butt all day watching TV and playing video games. The majority of the time that they spend out of school is spent working on homework and studying. I believe that everybody could achieve their full potential if they put their mind to it.

Over the years, my teachers and parents have been pushing me to succeed. One teacher in particular, my fourth grade English teacher, tried to bring out the best in me. It worked perfectly. I am in tenth grade now and when I look back at the writing that I did in fourth grade I am flabbergasted. I just can’t believe that I wrote some of my best work in elementary school. Now, I am trying to achieve that same level of writing that I was using back then.

First of all, in order to succeed, you have to get your priorities straight. Reaching level 100 on your favorite video game is not as important as passing your tests on Friday. Most people are not going to be able to go to college by receiving a video game playing scholarship or get a job playing video games (unless you design them, which in that case you need to go to college anyway). The ones who study and do well in their classes are the ones getting into Ivy League schools and working a high paying job. They will be living in a mansion next to your cardboard box. Girlfriends and boyfriends are not important. You will have plenty of time to date when you reach college and graduate. It will be easier to find the love of your life with a 4.0, a house, and a job paying $100,000 a year. Grades are your top priority.

Anyone can reach their full potential if they put their mind to it. The teachers want you to succeed, and if you do your homework correctly and study enough it becomes easier to ace a class. All you have to do is spend your extra time working on schoolwork rather than playing on the computer, playing video games, talking on the phone, or hanging with your friends. You can achieve your full potential if it is important to you.

Grades are the most important things in your life. They will get you into a good college, get you a high paying job and make your life more enjoyable with a better family life as well. You might believe that it is hard to achieve this goal and that it takes a great deal of extra work. Okay, so this is true. But it is worth it. When you get that test back and find out that all of the extra studying paid off, you get a warm feeling inside. You know that you succeeded, and you are proud of it.

This I believe: if you set your mind to it, stop playing video games, and make grades your top priority, there is no reason why you cannot succeed.