Thomas - Oak Park, Illinois

I believe in a good ending. Nothing bothers me more than a good story that ends in an abrupt or incomplete fashion. That’s why I’m in the process of writing my own funeral service.

No, it’s not because death is immanent–I’m fairly young and in good health. But as I study the field of hospice nursing (which I hope to make my future profession) I begin to understand the importance of preparing for the end of life.

Preparing a funeral service gives people time to reflect upon their lives and their legacy. Indeed, it is quite literally the last chance to speak to those around you, to impart some word of comfort or knowledge, or to make a statement about what it is you value.

And I have to say, for those who are creatively oriented, it’s a surprisingly enjoyable. I’ve found it a fascinating and sometimes surprising experience, to choose psalms, hymns, and readings in order to deliver a particular message or set a particular mood.

Your life, however grand or humble, is a story that is worth telling. And a story that is worth telling deserves a good ending.

This I believe.