Natalie - Miami, Florida

“Right amount of Seasoning”

I believe that adding seasoning to food is just as essential as adding fun to life. I also believe that the amounts of seasoning added is crucial to how good the food tastes.

Food tastes plain and lifeless when there is no seasoning. Seasoning tastes good but one must beware because too much seasoning can ruin food, just as too much fun can ruin life.

When I was really young I didn’t understand the concept of seasoning food. I watched my parent’s season meats and sides and I could never figure out how they knew what amount to put. I decided to try to mimic my parent’s and season a steak I found in the fridge. I added enough salt to cover the whole steak and enough pepper to make it look like a Dalmatian. When my mom got home she walked into the kitchen and held a surprised look for a few seconds, looked towards the direction of the steak, and began to burst out in laughter. I didn’t quite understand what was going on until she grabbed the container and said “You put sugar on the steak”

Seasoning wasn’t the only thing I didn’t know how to add as a child. I also didn’t know how to add fun to my life without making the same disaster I made in my kitchen. I used to get home from school and go straight to the television for an hour and then play outside the rest of the day. Fun tasted good, so why not add a lot of it? Well, just as I ruined the stake I ruined my grades and was constantly getting punished for bad conduct. I just didn’t understand how I was supposed to balance the right amount of fun, so my mother removed almost all of it.

I would get home form school and do my homework, taking my time knowing I couldn’t go outside and play. This probably lasted about two weeks tops, because I realized at a very young age that balancing work and play is just as important as balancing the seasoning in your food. I decided to observe my grandmother add seasoning for a week straight, until I felt I understood the amounts carefully. Then, I went back into the kitchen that had betrayed me not long ago and attempted seasoning a steak again. This time I used salt instead of sugar, and didn’t try to color the steak with the pepper. I’m proud to say that the steak tasted good, because I had found just the right amount of seasoning to add. Once I realized this I made an effort to apply the same balance to my life. I would get home, play for a short while, go do my homework, and go back outside to play. This seemed to taste just right.

Adding the right amount of seasoning is a difficult trait to acquire, but once you’ve learned to do it you can honestly enjoy your food. Adding to much seasoning makes food’s real taste disappear, replacing it with false flavor. Not putting enough seasoning tastes boring and unfulfilling, making food un-enjoyable. I believe that in order to have a good plate of food one must know to add the right amounts of seasoning, just as one must know to add the right amount of fun to life.