Anita - Byron, New York
Themes: family, sports

Everyone should go Fishing

Dads always want to do things with their sons while they are growing up. Well, my dad had three daughters. He still asked us to do things with him, such as an archery shoot or walk in the woods. I was often really busy with things that I, at ten years of age, thought were important. However, I now believe that everyone should go fishing.

I, after many years of avoiding it, went fishing with my dad. To be completely honest the situation started when I had run out of excuses and had no other plans. My mom said that I should go and told me that my dad would never make me go if I did not want to. So I went, under the impression that I would be bored out of my mind and my weekend would be ruined.

The following Saturday I got up early and helped my dad load the boat and we went out on the lake. The day that I thought would be the downfall of our vacation up north, turned into a day of firsts.

It was the first time that I saw the sun rise on the lake. During the summer a typical teenager sees nothing outside until at least noon. But, on that morning, the sky was an awe-inspiring combination of colors. It was like a box of crayons and it was the most beautiful thing that I had ever seen.

It was the first time that I saw the serenity of the lake. Prior to that day, when I saw the lake there was wind, rain, and three foot waves. But, on the morning, the lake was as smooth as glass, and just as clear. I saw hundreds of fish swimming beneath the surface.

Once out on the lake, my dad tied off the anchor and I was stuck out there. I looked around, and I saw nothing—and I mean nothing. No islands. No boats. Not even a seagull. It was the first time that I felt alone, even though I wasn’t.

My dad got the fishing poles ready. He cast out two lines and I cast out one. Then we sat for what seemed like hours. It was the first time that I experienced actual silence. Even the slightest sound, like a fish jump, sounded like a jet flying overhead.

Then the end of my pole bent. I actually got something. I started reeling and my dad got a net. Once the fish was close enough, he gently scooped it up with one arm. It was the first time that I caught a fish that was big enough to keep.

The day continued with a similar routine. My dad caught some fish and I caught some more fish. We never said a word, which was really okay. It was the first time that I understood why my dad did the things he does. The first time that I understood why he went fishing.

When we were done fishing, my dad pulled the anchor. And then he said the first sentence of the day: “Do you want to drive back to the cottage?” It was the first time that I drove the boat. It was the first time that I felt the wind rush through my hair. It was the first time that day that I saw my dad smile.

Everyone should have there own fishing trip. Their own day of firsts. What makes life worth living is trying new things. What makes life more rewarding is sharing those experiences with someone you care about and cares about you. Now, when I look back at the things I did during the summer there is the time I spent tubing, the time I spent on a nearby island, and the time I spent reading in a hammock. But most vividly, is the first fishing trip that I went on with my dad.