Rachel - Wheaton, Illinois

Always Take Your Kids to the Pet Shop

I have always known that caring for someone is a nice gesture. I would have never thought caring for someone that you truly love would in return be caring for yourself. This all started out when I was younger. I was one of those kids that wanted a zoo in their bedroom. I have always wanted a lot of pets. One day I finally worked up the nerve to ask my parents for a dog.

“You can not have any pets, Rachel! You won’t be able to take care of them.”

“Mom please! I promise I will take care of it.”

I tried my hardest to convince my parents. A couple months went by and I finally got a dog. Sure enough I didn’t take care of it. My parents were the ones that fed him, gave him water, and let him out. I tried to take care of my dog but I would always forget. At the time I was a little too young to know that you have to care for things or you won’t know how to really care for yourself.

Less than one year ago my mother got very sick. It was then when I actually started to care for things. My mother was diagnosed with cirrhosis of the liver and didn’t have that much more time to live.

Everyday I would be there for her. I would make sure she ate, got to the doctor, and take all of her medicines. My mother’s body was slowly shutting down and I, her seventeen year old daughter at the time, had to witness it. I have to admit it was scary at first. I was always used to my mother taking care of me, but this time was taking care of her.

My mother soon got increasingly worse and spent several months in and out of the hospital. It never occurred to me that my mother’s last couple months were a lot better because of what I did for her.

My mother passed away about seven months ago. Before she passed she told me something I will never forget.

“Thank you for being my nurse and taking care of me, I love you.”

Just hearing those words of appreciation made me realize exactly what I did. I took care of someone that I really love. Yet, I wanted to thank her. Without her I don’t think I would be able to truly put my heart and soul into taking care of things. That is why I believe that taking care of a person, pet or even anything you love will help you care for yourself in return.