Julie - Wayzata, Minnesota
Themes: pleasure

I believe in doing what makes one most happy. Ever since I was little, my parents told me to follow my dreams and do what I most wanted to do, regardless of what other people told me. They said that even if what I truly wanted to pursue was not a logical path to take, I should still give it a try. If I wanted to be an artist or a teacher, they told me to go for it, even if it meant that I would not be making as much money doing something that I was not passionate about and merely content with.

When I was twelve, I decided to spend my summer doing something that was not similar to the way that my classmates would spend their summers. My friends were playing on traveling sports teams or competing for a swim team at a nearby country club. Some would travel across the world or attend horse camp. I, however, decided to go to art camp. I did not know that the summer after sixth grade would be the beginning of my interest in metal-smithing.

For the past six years, I have attended numerous programs and classes in jewelry and metal arts. Over this time, I have realized that my life would be very different without this interest. One positive aspect of my life can help me to conquer the negative. When I cannot make jewelry due to my schedule or conflicting commitments, I have noticed that I am increasingly less happy.

Doing what I enjoy has made my life much more fulfilling than it would be if I was doing something that I was not passionate about. I believe that involving ourselves in something that we like doing makes our lives much more enjoyable. Spending time making jewelry allows me to empty my mind of the bad things going on in my life and focus on the good. I believe that one’s quality of life would be much higher if everyone involved themselves in activities that he or she truly enjoys.