Genna - Buffalo Grove, Illinois
Themes: environment

“Rain, rain, go away, come again another day.” Whenever I hear this childish rhyme, I question it. Why must the rain go away? I believe in rainy days. I believe in the first trickle on your face as you look up at the dark clouds in the sky. I believe in running as fast as you can back into your house just to keep dry. I believe in the joys of playing board games with your friends and family while sitting comfortably in front of the cozy fire. I believe in the anticipation of little children looking out the window, with their nose pressed up against the glass, watching the rain pour down.

I believe in the rain dances created by the Hopi Indians for important ceremonies. They are imitated by children all over the world; singing and dancing in hope that the clouds will open and create a rain fall. The rain drops soaking your clothing and your hair as you take a shower in the middle of your yard. I believe in pulling out those yellow galoshes stored in the back of your closet and aimlessly jumping through the puddles, just to get your little brother wet. I believe in twirling colorful umbrellas and humming songs from “Singin’ in the Rain.” I believe in wearing oversized ponchos or a Charles River rain jacket just to keep your shirt dry and forget about whether or not your pants get drenched.

I believe in simply just watching the rain pour out of the heavens. The blue skies turn to grey or the sound of thunder in your ears as you wait for the rain to beat down across the earth. I believe in the neon strikes of lightening making jagged streaks across the open sky. How the clear droplets fall down ever so gracefully as if they were creating their own rhythm in the air. I believe in the drizzle of rain and then how it progressively beats down harder and harder.

I believe in the rainbow the rain leaves behind. Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue Indigo and Violet create the perfect arch in the clear sky. I believe in the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow that the little leprechaun leaves behind. I believe in the squishy sound the grass makes as you sprint across it and come out with your pants covered in mud. I believe in the romantic gesture of a man placing his coat across a puddle for his loved one to walk on. Believing in rainy days gives me a sense of comfort and relaxation. The next time you hear the whispers of the children’s rhyme for the rain to go away, consider taking a rain check.