Maggie - Minneapolis, Minnesota

From the moment people starting giving each other little bits of advice, they’ve been saying that, “the little things are what matter most.” After a while of hearing this wise, but incredibly over used saying, one starts to forget that in actuality, the little things are what matter most.

This I believe: waiting your turn at a stop sign really does make a difference. You may at first think that of all the little things, I have chosen the most insignificant, and perhaps obscure, but before you judge my most important little thing, consider this situation.

You’re on your way to work or school, the day has just begun and you’re neither in a good mood nor a bad one. It’s just another drive on the way to beginning another day. As you approach a stop sign, you notice that this particular morning there is an unusually long back up. As your turn approaches, the cars to your left and right take their turns and drive forward. Across from you is a car with their blinker on signaling that, when their turn comes, they intend to pass over your lane of traffic. According to the law, they must yield to you before turning. But this morning the person across from you happens to be a non-law abiding person. They zip right in front of you as you start to accelerate.

Annoying? I think so. When this happens, your neutral mood turns sour and becomes a mad one. Best-case scenario, you’re paying attention and slam on your brakes. You can imagine the worse case scenario, I don’t need to write it out for you. But say you live, as I do, in Minnesota and it’s winter: slamming on the brakes is never a good idea. There’s always ice and it normally always leads to slipping and sliding. So even if you had been paying attention, you may hit a patch of ice and not be able to stop.

This situation I’m sure is very familiar to not only Minnesota drivers, but drivers all over. So I ask you to consider this. When you approach a stop sign, always be mindful of whose turn it is and when to go. Not only is it what you are required to do by law but also it’s one of those little things that make all the difference.