Gina - Johnson City, Tennessee
Themes: work

THIS I BELIEVE

After high school graduation I knew that I didn’t want to go to college. I didn’t have a very good idea of what it was that I wanted to do with the rest of my life. In fact, I only had one desire, to travel. So I went to the army recruiting office all by 18 year old self, took the ASVAB a few months later, and finally chatted with my dad about my future in the military. He didn’t yell, cuss, or forbid to let me follow my will. He only asked that I try college out for a semester and if I didn’t like it, then go.

So I enrolled at the community college in town. I started college as a nursing major spending two years taking classes to satisfy the pre-requisites that I had to have to get accepted into the program. I will never forget the emotions that overwhelmed me the day that I opened my letter of acceptance. In the moment that I should have felt excited and accomplished, I felt like a failure. This was the first of several circumstances that led me to where I am now. Nursing wasn’t for me; I was in that major because I was afraid to follow my dreams. Nursing is where I felt safe. During a lecture in that same semester my professor said, “If you’re not failing then you will never meet your full potential.” He was speaking to me.

When I started to clean out my room for my transfer to the four year college, I discovered my sixth grade journal. As I was thumbing through the pages I came across the title “What I Want to Be When I Grow Up.” In the sixth grade I wanted to be a doctor, live in Africa, and have an orphanage. I wanted to save the world. And I don’t know why. Within in the next year of my life I lost that security and self-assurance that I had in my childhood.

I never started nursing school. At twenty years old and after two years of college, I changed my professional goal to medicine with zero confidence and a lot of guts. In my first semester as a pre-med student, I cried at least three days every week. Currently in my last semester of pre-med classes, I have gained much confidence, and I still cry occasionally. Becoming a physician is my passion, my fire, and my drive.

I can’t thank those people enough that have stood behind me and that continue to stand behind me though this journey. This I believe, that having the childlike mindset of limitless possibilities and striving toward the visions of your inner man will lead to opportunities beyond expectations. Understand that anything that you put your heart into will come with lots of tears and brick walls. The rewards will be unbelievable.