Breanne - orland Park, Illinois

I believe in snowflakes. My favorite kind is the kind that first falls out of the sky.

I don’t remember much from third grade, but one thing I do remember is “the snowflake test”. It was a blizzard outside; all the eight-year-olds bundled up in their un-matching coats, gloves, and scarves and headed outside with a sheet of black construction paper. We were told to hold the paper out for six seconds and run back inside and look at the different snowflakes. We had to pick three and draw what we saw. At the end of the day the class put all their drawings on their table and we went around examining the different snowflakes our classmates saw. We all noticed the same thing, not one snowflake was the same.

As I grew older I came to grasp the point behind standing in the cold to see the difference in each snowflake. I realized this as us eight-year-olds became eighteen-year-olds. Even in third grade we were still falling from the sky, all of us unique without the cliques and concerns of adulthood.

Like babies all snowflakes start off completely different, not knowing where the wind will take them. I believe in babies, because not even identical twins are exactly alike. There’s always the baby that eats more or talks first. As the snow flakes get closer to the ground or the children get closer to growing up, they face becoming more and more like someone or something else.

Once the snowflake lands or the child finds his/her clique, it’s hard to stay away from becoming uniform to what’s around them. The snowflake can land and turn into pure snow, the kind that’s not only beautiful on the outside but underneath as well. The snowflake can also land and turn into the slush on the street that everyone hates, the slush that once was appealing but as soon as it stuck to the others became appalling. Some snowflakes get walked all over because of where they have landed, and they have no control over the person taking the steps.

There are those few lucky snowflakes and those few lucky people who don’t fall in one place, but follow the wind or follow their hearts and not fall where everyone else is landing.

I believe in being different, in not becoming something just because everyone around you is that way. I believe in being the snowflake that is first falling from the sky and makes the wind take it to where it wants to go. Third grade taught me something no one can teach me now, do not settle to be what is around you. There is a world of things you can land on; it’s up to you to choose.