keven - USA
Themes: golden rule

Though I was raised in a Catholic family and attended Sunday school for the majority of my childhood, which instilled the Catholic ideology regarding the creation of the world and the creatures that inhabit it in my mind, the science courses I have taken at Breck over the years of my schooling have provided contrasting views of the world. I am honest when I say I cannot answer the question “do you believe in God.” I am not an indecisive person, it is just I am truly torn between the scientific background of our beginnings, and the Biblical version of our beginnings.

The argument of the chicken and the egg is a similar situation to where I am with my views of God. The premise of the argument is there needs to be an initial object in which the chicken or the egg evolves from. The chicken cannot come before the egg because all chickens are hatched from eggs. However, an egg cannot be laid if there is not a chicken, which sparks the controversy of the argument. As I mature as a student and young adult I will become more insightful in my beliefs of the origins of our world.

Today, I try to live my life to the fullest possible extent, utilizing each day to be productive in some shape or form. I believe that fundamental morals that follow an ethical path are the key to a fruitful life. Honor and Trust are the key values that I abide by; having honor and pride in what you have done or accomplished is very important to me, as well as being able to be trustworthy to other people in general. A good example and a common occurrence of a situation of being honorable and helpful is when a stranger loses a possession that is valuable to him, and you return his lost object to him. Although it is not necessary for you to do so, you feel that you have an obligation to return the item to its rightful owner.

I am only 18 years old, which many people consider a young age; yet, the experiences I have lived through so far in my life, such as the deaths of relatives to national disasters have taught me to be thankful for not only everything I have, but the people around me. Rather than wait until I am a senior citizen, I have begun to reflect upon my past experiences and relish previous memories with others, living in the moment rather than waiting for the future.