Margaret - Golden Valley, Minnesota

“Why do you dye your hair pink?” This is a question that has been asked to me by teachers, students, and even random people on the street. Well, I have an answer for all of you out there, and it’s a very simple one. “Who can look at the girl with pink hair and not smile?” Since I was small it has been my goal in life to put a smile on every person’s face I meet, even if it’s only for a few seconds. To accomplish this goal I dye my hair neon pink that fades to bubble gum, dress in very bright and odd clothing, and walk around with a smile on my own face, leading by example. I get ogled at by small children, smiled and pointed at, and even laughed at on occasion. I’ve been told many times by many people that they rarely ever see me without a smile on my face and a light in my eyes, and when they don’t the tend to steer clear of me. Some call it unnatural, fake, and disgusting that I can keep a smile on my face and a positive outlook even when things seem so bad that they can’t possibly get any worse. But I’ve seen what a simple smile can do. When a friend is crying because a relationship ended or a test was failed, a simple hug and a smile does wonders to light up the face and dry up the tears. When I am feeling bad, even if I’m not letting it show, walking down the street and seeing a stranger smile at me makes my day brighter and my mood better. When a passerby stops to stare or ask, “is that real?” I know that my goal is being accomplished. I have had conversations with complete strangers about bleaching, dying, the brand I use, and the effect it has on my hair. Almost always these conversations end with a wave and a smile to pass on to yet another person. Smiles, like sneezes, are contagious. They brighten up anyone’s day and make the world seem a little better, if only for a while. I believe in making people smile, because I know the effect a simple smile can have.