Will - norman, Oklahoma

I believe in this, rather than this I believe. It was long ago when I forgot how to believe. More than that, I forgot where to believe. I believe in this moment in time I am eternal, my actions in this moment and most of all the feelings I share in this moment are eternal. However this is not eternal in the sense most imagine. Honestly, three months ago this notion was absurd to me. How can a singular moment in time be eternal? Unfortunately I am incapable of answering this particular question, as is every single other human being. However, I wish to share an excerpt from a conversation between Joseph Campbell and his friend, a PBS journalist named Bill Moyers. This is my attempt to shed light on my way of life, for it is based on Joseph Campbell’s life’s work. The following quote can be located in The Power of Myth, which is a series of interviews between Campbell and Moyers.

“Eternity isn’t some later time. Eternity isn’t even a long time. Eternity has nothing to do with time. Eternity is that dimension of here and now that all thinking in temporal terms cuts off. And if you don’t get it here, you won’t get it anywhere. The problem with heaven is that you will be having such a good time there, you won’t even think of eternity. You’ll just have this unending delight in the beatific vision of God. But the experience of eternity right here and now, in all things, whether thought of as good or as evil, is the function of life.”

For so long I searched for the path to Heaven and for even longer I was led there without question. When I first broke away from classic Christian beliefs I confided in the one person most young boys feel like knows it all, my Father. I will always remember the lesson my Father gave me when I came to him seeking spiritual guidance the very first time, because it was far from what I had expect. He told me “William, spirituality has nothing to do with religion and the moment you forget that is the moment you will lose the wealth of knowledge this world has to offer.” With that in mind it is impossible for me to rule out the possibility that my eternity is every moment in time in which I know I am continually building bonds with other human beings. Right now, the only place my late Grandfather exists is in the hearts of all those he helped through their lives. The search for universal truths of morality will never end but if your spirit is held in the hearts of those

you cared for, you are eternal. The only way to secure this eternity is to leave your mark on those around you. I do not have time to discuss whether the figurative mark is one of “good or evil” because evil can secure this eternity too. Why do you think Sarte said “Hell is other people.”? I

In truth the only life you live is your own. It is only possible for me to take this belief as far as myself because my position in this world if to perpetuate the ideal that humans are inherently good and only be an example for myself.