Ashley - Durham, North Carolina
Themes: carpe diem

I believe that life is a highway. Everything though it may seem so slow is actually moving at a very fast rate. There are many things that slip by you like other cars and off ramps. Opportunities can pass you by very quickly if you’re not paying attention.

Life goes by very fast and seems to drag on forever. As I write this, it seems like just the other day I was meeting my best friend for the first time, hearing about 9-11, starting high school, and now I’m a junior who in four months will be seventeen. I often reflect on my life in amazement because of how much I’ve seen and accomplished in just sixteen short years. This last school year I came to be on friendly terms with almost all the people in my classes. This one guy was in both my Spanish club and the local fishing club that had been started. He was a year older than me and was everything a guy should be: handsome, athletic, nice to all types of people, and a real team player. That type of guy is the kind that is rare in this society. Last year on July 3rd during a family vacation he was hit by a garbage truck and was killed instantly. This personal experience showed me how short life is and something as a simple as a car accident can change the lives of not only those involved but the witnesses and the people who knew the ones involved.

The other cars on the highway can be your friends or your enemies. There are some that are always going to be nice to everyone, then there are others that are uppity towards everyone except their minions. There are also the ones that will be nice to people who are nice and rude to the ones who deserve a reality check. Sometimes cars will cut you off on the highway. Depending on who the person is they would have had to do that or else they would have had an accident, some will just jump up there because they are trying to get to their destination as soon as possible and could care less how dangerous they are being. I would classify those people as being the drug addicts of the world.

The exits ramps on the highway represent all the opportunities in your life. They come around only once in a lifetime and they come by very quickly. Some opportunities are better suited to the tastes of others rather than yours. Some people may be looking for a hotel to spend the week in and others may just be looking for a place to find some lunch. After they take those opportunities they always get back on the highway to gain more of them.

I believe is that life is a highway. You should go the speed limit and maybe five over, but don’t rush to get to your destination, don’t be afraid to live life by poking along on the highway. Life is a highway.