Joyce - LaGrange Park, Illinois

Plain beige noodles sat in front of me covered in oozing cheese. A classic American meal that has always been a favorite, but why? There is no savory flavor or pizzazz like in other more exotic dishes, so why was I eating a mass of gooey carbohydrates, I began to think to myself. Without a second thought I grabbed the bottle of Kikkoman soy sauce next to my fork and poured the delectable liquid all over my mac and cheese. The noodles were no longer a muted absence of color, but had developed into a rich brown concoction. The dish was no longer the dull meal it had originally been, but had transformed into a meaningful dish right before my eyes. A wide grin spread across my lips as my mouth consumed the delicious mixture.

I believe that soy sauce provides a delicious balance to any meal. It is the perfect balance of sweet and sour that has the ability to drastically change a meal for the better with a single dash. Soy sauce represents a harmony of good and bad in food as well as in real life. Too sweet and one is soon taken advantage of and other flavors overshadow the food. Too sour and no one will come close enough to have a taste and see what you are all about. My goal is to be sensitive yet outspoken, and pensive yet outgoing, creating a balance of such qualities. Unfortunately, the chance of such a equal dispersing of traits is extremely hard to achieve or even come across in a friend. I think that everyone has something they can work on and since I will probably never be completely satisfied with every single aspect of my personality, I will leave that job up to my soy sauce.

The perfect combination of sweet and sour can be formed on any food as soon as soy sauce reaches the plate. Soy sauce has the ability to provide delicious flavor not only to mac and cheese but also meats, various foreign cuisine, and kosher foods as well. Possibilities and unique concoctions are endless when soy sauce joins in the mix to even out the flavors to create a more fantastic meal overall. Soy sauce is an awesome alternative to bland food that provides balance to any meal.