Brittani - Huntington, Indiana

I believe in smiling with everything that I do. Smiling has always played an important part in my life, and can help to brighten almost anyone’s day. Smiling can also get you many places in life, especially when you are applying to a new job. For anyone to smile you have to be a happy person and optimistic. Smiling not only brightens someone’s day but usually makes them feel better about themselves.

I have always believed in smiling because I like to be happy. A smiling person helps lift anyone’s spirits. A smile brings joy and peace to each person and can help that person through a difficult time. While I am at the hospital I smile at each and every patient. I know those people who are in the hospital are not enjoying their time so I like to make their time go a little smoother by smiling at them each time I go in to care for them. I was once told that I smile a lot, but it makes me feel good inside.

I believe that smiling can become very contagious in the hospital setting. When someone is unaware of what is happening to them they are very scared and are usually crying and far from smiling. The nurse is usually the one to comfort that person and to listen when they have many questions are just want clear the minds. I believe that nurses can play an important role in a patient’s life not just by answering questions and comforting but by smiling at that person as well. I have been in the hospital a few times in my lifetime and it is always nice to have a nurse who smiles, because having a nurse who doesn’t smile makes the time go slower and can be a little intimidating. I can remember when I was in the hospital for having neck surgery. I had just been transferred to the regular pediatric floor after being released from the PICU, and I was very tired. My first night on the pediatric floor was very busy, I was still confined to my bed, and the doctor decided to increase my fluids. So I was using the call light about every other hour to use the bathroom. Each time the nurse who was in charge of me came in to help me to use the bedpan. It was not a very comfortable position, and I was quite embarrassed to have to go through that all night long. The nurse though, was amazing, she came in each time with a smile on her face, was very gentle, which helped the night to go smooth. She could have been upset that I was using my call light every other hour, but she never showed any sign of being annoyed. I am very thankful for nurses like her and I strive my best each and everyday to show that kind of compassion and caring for each of my patients.