Gerald - Baldwinsville, New York
Age Group: 65+

This I believe

I believe all people deserve to be respected and loved with no exceptions. Men and women should be treated as equals no matter what their race, skin color, sexual orientation, religious persuasion, appearance, or any other rightful trait or belief that defines who they are. If I believe that life, yours and mine, must be revered then it does not matter whether you are an atheist, pagan, or theist, you are still valued as an equal. I cannot choose to love only some and condemn others whose religious understanding (or lack thereof) of the world differs from mine. Knowledge of the world should not be subject to an a priori ideology but must stand on its own merits. If your religious understanding of the world conflicts with reason then something is wrong with how you understand. You may possess faith but don’t deny the value of my belief in science nor demand that a religious interpretation of the world must be part of the public place. Those who use religion to divide us whether they are Muslim, Jew, or Christian must not be allowed to rule or set the agenda for the rest of us. I believe in the absolute separation of church and state because history and current events categorically confirms that without that separation, we will be living in a country where freedom of choice is no longer. I believe that I can live a good life by relying on my reason and following the example of good men and women who preceded me. The example and philosophy of life that Jesus Christ preached is one that has influenced that way I live but I do not disparage those who live by other worthwhile creeds be they religious or secular. How can the message of Jesus be so torn apart and distorted by those very people who not only profess allegiance to him but also declare descendentcy from him? God bless everyone, no exceptions.