jameson - laurel, Maryland
Themes: good & evil

This I believe – the belief in the duality of man. For I believe in man’s inherent goodness. His deeper sense of spiritual awareness, his unspoken fear for the wrath of God’s will. For I believe in man’s compassion and warm graces, for his desire of peace and prosperity, for his longing to heal, and his craving for salvation – the hunger for light and all of its glory.

Man is however a complex creature, a struggling battle of dynamic opposites, for which I also believe in his inherent evil. In his absence of faith, in the clutch of his vices, and in the wickedness of his betrayal – for I believe in man’s thirst for blood and eagerness for revenge.

For I believe in his ability to give as well as to take, for his capacity to create and to destroy. I take comfort in his humbleness and feel at odds with his vanity. I sometimes laugh at his self- righteous claim to divinity and I cry over his lack conviction. I wonder for days searching for his higher ground of morality only to find myself a weary traveler upon his lower road. I view his middle and fore – finger stretched outright in a symbol for peace, while his hands suffocate the very life out of the brothers he loves. For I listen to him talk loudly, while he says nothing at all, hunting and mending, donating and pilfering, fixing and breaking anything that gets in his way.

This I believe – the belief in the duality of man, the cracked and dried line that divides his smile from his frown, the tears of his joy and the tears of his pain, for these are the very differences that make him so alike, for this I believe.

Jameson Cool

Age 35

Laurel, MD