Cecilia - Peralta, New Mexico
Themes: parenthood

Do you remember when was the last time you thanked your parents for bring you in this world? Thanking them for all the things they have given you? Giving them the respect they want and deserve from you? It doesn’t matter how old you are because you can never get to old to thank your parents. These days’ teenagers don’t appreciate their parents as much as their parents deserve and it seems to get worse and worse. Parents deserve a lot more from their children.

For me, I have to admit, there are times that my parents don’t get that appreciation from me but deep down I am but I just can’t release it so they can see it. There is one memory that will always stay with me, made me realize how important my parents are and to always appreciate them for being who they are and everything they do. I will never forget it. It was when my mom had my little brother about 7 years ago. She got really sick. She had what they call acclampsia, It was so scary because we didn’t know what was wrong with her. She came home from here 3-day check up with my baby brother and she got a seizure. I was so scared because I thought I was going to loose my mom forever that day. I was running around like chicken with its head cut off. The doctors never caught what my mom had so we didn’t know it until that day when they examined her.

My mom was in and out of the hospital for 2 years straight. We all stayed by her side day in and day out. The worse thing was, was that my mom didn’t know who any of us where except for my dad. So my dad had to raise my brothers and me all by himself. I helped too but there wasn’t much that I could so because I was only 11 at the time.

My mom is ok now and she is back to herself. She has to take medication and stuff but I am just glad that she is fine and still in my families life along with my dad. This was when I realized that my parents are so much to me and that I will always love them, give them the respect they need, and repay them for everything they do for me. My parents are everything to me and I appreciate them for pushing me to do my best in everything that I do, for raising me to the person I am today, for having them as my parents and most of all for giving me and my brothers that unconditional love that every kid needs from their parents.

This I believe that kids should realize what they have and appreciate and respect their parents more. They should tell them thank you and how much they love them before it’s to late.