Jackie - Sparta, Georgia

What I Believe Is Not Enough

Among the clutter inside my desk is a small brochure that measures 3 by 4 1/2 inches after folded. The paper is a glossy white with sky blue ink depicting a drawing of a sunset and streams of sunlight beams are shooting up from behind the clouds.

This miniature brochure has somehow been successfully moved from house to house and desk to desk over the past 25 years, and yet surprisingly it is like new with no frayed edges or dog-eared corners.

The name for this item is tract. No, not a train track or a racing track, and not even a parcel of land or water which is spelled the same. Some use tracts to tell of their business, or entice visitors to their establishment, but this particular tract is of the religious type and gives unapologetic, instructions as to what everyone must do to go to heaven.

The things I believe that makes life better are what I call idealistic beliefs and are formed by culture, education and life experiences. The beliefs found in this little tract are what I call basic, fundamental beliefs for eternity’s sake. Over the years, my basic beliefs have greatly influenced my idealistic beliefs. So with that said, I will share some of my idealistic beliefs.

I believe kindness to my fellowman and putting others needs before my own is what gives me a sense of accomplishment at the end of the day.

I believe there is no love without sacrifice and sacrifice is giving way beyond our excess.

I believe hard work and a clear conscious will give me a good nights sleep and a good nights sleep is a jewel to be treasured in this busy life.

I believe children can lead us with the wisdom of innocence and complete trust and without innocence and trust I am filled with fear and confusion.

I believe that finding the right way should be my priority and doing the right thing must come before approval or success.

I believe that living a clean life means moderation in all things and complete avoidance of some.

I believe that loving is an act of my will and therefore my will can govern the good or bad feelings which come from all relationships.

I believe in communication and sharing of feelings and dreams with those I love, and listening intently to theirs.

I believe God can be found in a sunset, rainbow, the wind rustling through trees, the soft touch and smell of roses and by running my hand along the strong majestic neck of my horse. And so many other beautiful things and places this life affords.

Yes I believe even the most lofty of all ideals are not enough to take me into eternity. The road to heaven or eternity is paved with the sacrificial love of the one who made me. He completed the plan long ago, and his name is the reason I am called Christian.

The name of the tract is “Four Things You Must Do To Go to Heaven,” The truths it holds are found in the Bible.