Tiffany - Albuquerue, New Mexico
Themes: setbacks

I believe everything happens for a reason, if it didn’t I wouldn’t be the person I am today!

My life was almost ended very young. When I was about seven years old I was in a deadly car accident. I was riding my bike with my neighbors, as I was crossing the street, I noticed there was a very bright light coming straight for me, I tried so hard to pedal my bike out of the way when the lights got so close that I thought that was it for me. After the truck hit me from my left side all I thought about was my mother. I was still conscious even after being thrown seventy feet down; eighty feet high then dropped two inches from a sidewalk. As people started to gather around me I started to panic, so I screamed frantically for my mother. I even got up and tried to walk to my house. Once my neighbor calmed me down, he got me to lie down on the ground to wait for help.

After I got to the hospital all I could remember was feeling my aunt holding my hand telling me everything was going to be ok. She asked me several times if anything hurt; and every time all I would tell her was my leg and nothing else. When the truck hit me I was not wearing a helmet or anything. When the doctors found that out they were shocked because all they thought I had was a broken leg, which was broken in four different places. As the doctors started to pack things up I finally told my aunt that my side was hurting me a little. The doctors decided to do a CT scan, that’s when they found out I wasn’t ok and if they didn’t move fast I would bleed to death. The doctors told my parents that I had a thirty percent chance to live.

After the surgery I spent four months in the hospital, during the four months I was in critical for the first two. After the four months I was finally well enough to go home. I went to the third grade some time after and started a new life. I believe I enjoyed every moment of every day because I never knew when the day would come that I wouldn’t be so lucky to live another day. I am now a graduating senior in high school and will be going to school to be a doctor, to try and help someone else, the way I was helped. A drunk driver that was going over one hundred miles per hour in a half-ton pick-up truck helped me decide the rest of my future, this is why I believe everything happens for a reason because if it didn’t I wouldn’t be the person I am today!