Richard - DeSoto, Texas

I believe that we should leave this river of life a bit better than when we found it. However imperceptibly it may be, the world should be a better place, not a worse place, for our presence.

I believe that each person deserves to be respected. Each person should be able to pursue happiness. In time, I think, we will realize that we are all brothers and sisters in this human race. Regardless of nationality, race, religion, ability, or sexual preference; we will all need to learn to live with each other in harmony.

I believe that our earth was a gift from God. It is filled with almost endless beauty. But we have not learned to treat the earth with care. For us to survive, we will need to gain a new and much deeper respect for the environment.

I believe that the founding fathers of this country had remarkable wisdom. They understood that we needed a balance of power in government. They understood that money could ruin government. It is imperative that we separate government from the money powers that corrupt it. I repeat, it is imperative.

I believe that information is one of the fundamental building blocks of democracy. That is why free public libraries are so important. Information is truth and power. The rapid consolidation of media companies and therefore information sources in this country is unacceptable.

I believe in family, community, and church. They bring love into our lives and love is the most important need of all. I guess that’s why we have a crazy dog and two crazy cats too.

I believe that our country is on the wrong track. Misdirected priorities threaten the future of my kid’s kids and the very survival of our species. I deeply resent this. I hope that we can make a course correction, but am not 100% confident that we can. Americans will need to be touched more than they have been to change course.

This I believe.