Jonathan - Norcross, Georgia
Themes: sports

Never Give Up

Growing up as a kid in the suburbs of Chicago, Illinois, I always watched sports. I loved them all– baseball, basketball, soccer, and even football. Of course, growing up in Chicago in the 1990’s there were many great athletes associated with the city of Chicago. We had such legends as Michael Jordan and, at the time Sammy Sosa. I only lived in Illinois until I was eight years old, but when I moved to Atlanta the memories of Chicago always stayed with me.

Now in a totally new environment and strange place called Georgia, I fell in love, not only with watching sports, but playing them too. All throughout elementary school I was the short chubby Asian kid and was always picked last in any sport we played, whether in recess or what I dreaded most… P.E. As I grew taller and older, I began to play one of my favorite sports to watch, baseball. I remember the summers when my family and I would go to Wrigley Field and watch the Cubs play. I loved the atmosphere of the big stadium– the hot air and the cool breeze, the smell of the tasty stadium hotdogs, and the chanting and cheering all around. When I became ten years old I went on to play in a league for baseball. Although at the end of the season my team was in last place I had set a new record for most home runs in little league, and I was proud.

Once again, I grew older and taller and found a new game to play, but this time it was basketball. I learned to love basketball the most; we would play this game every day after school all through my middle school and high school years. One day I woke up with an excruciating pain in my left knee, but I ignored it like any other minor injury. I continued to play basketball although I felt the pain. I have played this game of basketball for the last six years of my life and every time with more and more pain.

Recently, I got my knee checked out and found out that I tore my meniscus in both knees and possibly have tendonitis in my left knee. I know now that I need to get knee surgery and even after that my knee will never fully heal and after the surgery I will not be able to play any sport for a year. So I am still waiting to get my surgery and I still play this game that I love so much. I never gave up in any game. I was never the fastest, strongest, tallest, or most talented, but I kept fighting and kept playing the sports I loved.