Jennie - San Antonio, Texas

My children are going to be O.K. This realization hasn’t come easily or quickly. It has come from almost daily discussions with other parents at school, in the car line, at dance, basketball and gymnastics whose shared obsessions about their own children’s strengths and weaknesses have forced me to analyze mine.

In the end, I believe that my children – whether they attend Harvard, become rocket scientists, neurosurgeons, Olympic athletes, Broadway stars or not — are going to be OK.

How can I say this with such confidence? Because my husband and I, despite our pedigrees or perhaps because of them are OK.

I graduated with 130 other kids from Cuero High School in Cuero, Texas – the Turkey Capitol of the World. You heard me correctly, the Turkey Capitol of the World. My high school years were spent proudly supporting the Fightin’ Gobbler football team every Friday night as a Trotter. That’s right, I was a Trotter on the dance team. I was a Gobblerette, too, on the girls’ basketball team – a sport incidentally that a nun in a habit taught me to play. (But that’s another story.) The point is I was proud of all of this and not only did I survive, I am OK.

I went to a good college and graduate school. And while I’m still trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up, I’ve had good jobs, made good friends and married a good man.

While I was safely ensconced in Turkey Town U.S.A. for the first 18 years of my life, my husband was busy moving from Chicago to the Bay Area of California to Ogden, Utah and finally, graduated from Uvalde High School in Uvalde, Texas. He ended up being a proud Coyote. And guess what? Not only did he survive the many moves and Uvalde, he is OK.

He went to a good college and graduate school, has a good job in which he’s well-respected and if I do say so myself, married a good woman.

Call me crazy (and I’m sure plenty have) but I believe that my children’s success lies more with being comfortable with themselves and confident in who they are rather than attending the proper schools and knowing the proper people. Don’t get me wrong, I think my kids are geniuses as much as you believe your kids are. I would be thrilled if they were accepted to Harvard or became Olympic athletes as long as that fulfilled their dreams, not mine.

So, this I believe and this is my mantra: My kids are going to be OK, and I’m perfectly OK with that.