Kacey - Alpharetta, Georgia
Themes: parenthood

The first person you ever began to know is your parents. Before birth, a baby begins to know its mother’s voice. A baby will form a relationship with its mother because during the whole nine months, it is always with its mother hearing every sound that she makes. As time goes on, the child will be born and will spend most of its time with it parents in the early stages of life, which leads the child to be influenced more and more by its parents. Over the years, my parents have shaped me into the person that I am today.

From a young age, my parents taught me wrong from right. When I would do something wrong, I was punished. For instance, when I talked back to my mother or father, I would expect a spanking. Many think that children today shouldn’t be spanked, “that it is hitting your child.” But I believe it taught me wrong from right. I knew that if I talked back, there would be pain, so I learned what not to do. So many times today I see young children miss behaving and talking back to their parents and I know if just once they were punished, then it would come to an end.

My parents also taught me manners and to respect the elderly. I remember saying yeah to an elderly when I was very young. That was a mistake! From then on I say yes ma’am/sir and no ma’am/sir to my elderly. They have taught me to respect them and show courtesy by going out of my way to help. When I see someone being un-respectful to an elderly, it makes me thankful for what my parents taught me.

I am shape the most through my parents love. When punished, it made me mad and I said I hated them and never wanted to speak to them again. But I never meant it. I loved my parents and I knew they loved me. Since I have left home and now at college, I can now see how much they really do love me. I can hear my mom’s heart drop like a piece of lead when I tell her that I can’t be coming home this weekend. She tries not to show it, but I know that she is about to cry. But I know if I don’t go home on the weekend, she will be up here the next week to see me, because she loves me.

Through punishment, manners, and love, my parents have shaped me to be the person I am. I loved my childhood with my parents and I wouldn’t trade it for anything. Many kids tried to stay away from their parents as much as possible when they were at home, but I loved being with my parents and I will never forget my childhood and how they have taught me to be the person I am.