Michelle - Coral Springs, Florida

Into My Reality

I believe that my imagination can take me anywhere I want to go, even into a creation of my own reality, and use this as a way to escape into world far different and interesting than the reality we currently occupy.

Ever since I was a very little girl, as far back as I can remember, I have always been shy around people I did not know. When I started kindergarten my shyness was even worse, being around all those other kids and teachers that I did not know. It was around this time that I started to learn how to read and I loved it. I was able to pick up books and place my self directly in the book and completely forget about my shyness and submerge myself in the world the book was creating for me. I went from walking side by side with the Cat in the Hat to having fun with talking mice.

Then something new came to me not long after I learned to read. I learned to write, and not just anything, stories. My school had a writing contest that we all participated in and we all wrote different stories. I’m not entirely sure what mine was about, since I did write it when I was about 6 years old, but I do remember it was about a fox. Not to long after we all handed our stories in they came back with a winner, and to my total surprise they chose my story. I had such fun writing it and creating a world, or reality, of my own, just like the stories I read, that I continue to write to this day.

Reading stories you can go into the mind of the writer, and even though you may be in some small town in Ohio, you can pick up a book and go to Japan, or a mystical realm like Middle Earth all in a simple turn of a page.

When I write my stories or poems for me it works perfectly with both, you can get into my head, or try to at least, and enter a world of my own creation. I can take you and my self on a journey through a magical land where you have to fight an evil wizard so you can save your true love at the top of the tower. Then turn the page and a few well written words later you and I could be in Ireland chasing down leprechauns to the end of rainbows to get their pot of gold.

Reading, for me, is a way to escape into a world better, different, and more spectacular than the one my body lives in. Then comes writing, for this is another way for me to jump into a new world, but this one I have the power to create and do with as I please. I can write about a world on the moon that is made of cheese and nobody but me can say otherwise.

I believe that my imagination has no limits, whether it be reading a book, or writing a story of my own. Also my imagination gives me the power to go anywhere in the world, whether it be on or off the planet earth, or to create a brand new reality. Now if you will excuse me I have a reality to dive back into of Eoin Colfer’s series “Artemis Fowl: The Lost Colony”.