Aimee - Dunwoody, Georgia

I believe fate does not exist

I used to believe in fate. I believed that everything happened for a reason: the reason I was sick was so that I would not fail my math test so that I could get into the college that would lead me to finding my soul mate and so on. I believed that everything that was going to happen in my life was already set and all I had to do was go along with it. I loved my theory because it gave me comfort when things would go wrong. When I did not qualify to be a patrol in the 5th grade I figured it was a good thing because maybe if I had been allowed to be a patrol, I would have gotten run over by a bus or something. I took my failed science tests as a sign not to become a doctor. I believed there was one direction to go in and I believed every little thing was guiding me into that direction.

When my English teacher, Mr. Simony, went over different beliefs people had about fate with my class, it caused me to think about my own beliefs. As I thought more and more about my ideas regarding predestination and soul mates, I realized how unrealistic my ideas were. Why would God give us such complex minds and emotions if we could not have control over them? What about druggies and people who never fall in love- why do some have poor fates while others get great ones? The more I thought about destinies being decided for everyone, the less sense it made to me. Having a predetermined destiny gave me no reason to work for what I wanted because I would either get it anyways or I was not supposed to have it.

So I rejected my comforting belief that I have a soul mate and that everything is always going to work out and be okay. When I am sick, I know that I am just sick; there is no underlying ulterior motive behind my cold that will lead me to my true destiny. Having chocolate ice-cream instead of cheese cake will have absolutely no effect on my future.

Not believing in fate has forced me to take more control over my life. I do not look for signs to tell me what to do. I do what needs to be done to get what I want. I know that there are many paths to happiness and that no one path is the right one. I also know that there is no one guy or soul mate out there for me. The idea that everyone has a soul mate that they will find and fall in love with is encouraging, but it is not the truth. I know this because there are many different guys I am attracted to, if I am attracted to many different guys I am sure that there is more then one guy I would enjoy being married to.

Although it was tough to give up my stress free beliefs, not knowing everything is going to work out for me all the time is much more compelling and meaningful. I would much rather work for a great life than be handed one that I do not deserve. I believe fate does not exist.