Stephanie - Young Harris, Georgia
Themes: setbacks

Mistakes May Bring Great Change

I believe that everyone makes mistakes but only we can choose to learn from them. My mistake happened my junior year of high school at the age of seventeen. It was a rough year for me because my entire world seemed to be going down the drain, and there was nothing I could do to stop it.. I began looking for happiness in all the wrong directions. I started hanging out with some people that I shouldn’t have. We made some real bad choices, and consequently got caught. I began smoking pot and enjoyed the feeling of false happiness that it allowed me to feel, but when it would wear off I just felt even more depressed. This routine continued for quiet some time, that is until that dreadful day, Friday, April 22, 2005. The day that changed my life.

This day changed my life getting caught in my mistake. The day started off as any other, except for the fact that six of us decided to skip school together. Now I had skipped school before, but this day I had a bad feeling about it because there was so many of us doing it together. I should I have listened to my instinct, but I didn’t. I went with them to one of their houses and was just watching TV. Everything was fine until one of the guys pulled out some pot. I didn‘t want to smoke cause I was worried that we was going to get caught, but then decided I was just paranoid and that nothing was going to happen. So I smoked with them, and it was all fine until the boy’s mom came flying into the driveway and made us go to school. She didn’t know at the time that we were high, but had got a call from the school about us skipping. Well, when I went into the principals office was when my whole world came crashing down. He knew that I was high and he had the school officer and my mom in the office with us and I was so terrified of what was going to happen. My mom started crying and I felt awful for doing this to her. I was so mad at myself because my mom had always been there for me and I went and did this to her. That was when the principal told me that I could possibly go to jail but that they wouldn’t give all of us our punishment until Monday. It was the longest and most miserable weekend of my life. Thankfully, all we got was a week of in school suspension (iss) and then suspended for the rest of the semester and the beginning of the next year.

Therefore, I changed my ways and quit smoking and went back to school the end of my senior year and straightened up my ways. I straightened up and graduated with honor. I had always been an A student but to graduate with A’s after being gone was a huge accomplishment for me. This is why I believe that everyone makes mistakes but only we have the decision to change ourselves. I believe this because of the fact that if I had not got caught that day I may not be where I am today, but yet I would be going down a very destructive path.