Alissa - Bloomington, Illinois
Themes: love

“This I believe” Speech

Love makes my world go round

I was sitting October 6, 2006 in my Ford Taurus driving back to my hometown of Bloomington, Illinois. My two cousins were chatting quietly in the front seat I was laying in the backseat, tired, but not sleeping, wishing that October 5, 2006, the day before, never had happened at all. I would have been perfectly content leaving those days events a mystery. With my grandpa’s death, on the previous day came a sadness I have never felt before, but also an overwhelming sense of realizing that with death comes believing in life, and most importantly love. Stated simply, Without my believe in love, my world wouldn’t go round.

“What is love?” is question many people contemplate throughout their lives and some may not ever find the answer. I’m not saying that I have come anywhere near close to finding the answer to all things “love”, due to the fact I do not love everything, but I can say that I believe in it, even the simplest possibly unnoticeable love.

After my grandfather passed away that Thursday. I had plenty of time to think. Two four hour car rides both to and from Goshen as well as three trips there and back to Flanigan, Illinois, about an hour from home.

With my plenty of time to think I thought about how my Grandpa lived a life of love, mostly love for my cute, short, white haired grandma who says the world pork chop in a way I can not help but laugh. I did not quite realize how much my Grandpa loved my grandma until he died, so I began thinking about the little things in my life that I also may not have noticed.

Part of my reason for believing so strongly in love, is my parents strong love for me. From my dad giving up his career to be a stay at home dad to lead me down the right path, including preparing my orange juice and cheese snack when I came home from school everyday, taking care of me when I was sick, and just being a shoulder to cry on to my mom’s countless on-call nights at the hospital making a good life for my brother, sister, and I. Both of my parents love me and through that love I have been able to appreciate love to its fullest extent.

The other part of my belief in love comes from friends and others who have just simply been there. That person standing in the back of a room, ready to give you a hug, there to give you the strength to stand up after it is all over, smile, and say that I’m lucky that I have so many people that love me. That best friend that makes you a CD full of songs when your boyfriend breaks up with you, half that give you the good cry she knows you need and the other half that make you grin from ear to ear.

Love is hard to describe, but easily felt with the heart in the most unexpected times. It makes it so easy to believe in love when I have been loved everyday through gestures I may not have even realized.

Then, however, that day happens that I wished never did, but looking back on that fall early October day when my grandpa passed away, that day had to happen and when it is all said and done I emerged with a heart reminded of what love really is. I believe in love. Love makes my world go round. Without it I would be nothing.