Hannah - Lilburn, Georgia

Becoming Independent

Before college I was very dependent upon my parents and family. For example I did not do my own laundry, I did not cook, and I did not clean around the house except for my room and my bathroom. As it got closer for the time for me to go to college I became nervous because I had to learn how to do these things for myself. For the first couple of weeks at college I cried myself to sleep because I was so used to being around my mom and dad and them doing things for me that I did not want to do, I called them every day and talked to them for at least two hours. I eventually started calling my mom and dad for one hour a day sometimes in one hour increments, this semester I have gotten down to talking to my mom and dad for a couple of minutes about three times a day, maybe even once a day. After a while here I became more independent because there was no one here to do things for me so I had to do them for myself and make my own decisions. While I was learning how to become independent it made me feel the need to help others rather than just keep my things to myself. Coming to college taught me many lessons, but this is the one that impacted my life the most.

I think that most people have this happen to them at some point in their lives. For me it happened a lot further along in my life than most people might have. This can happen to people for doing many things for example, being away from their parents, having to take care of a younger sibling, and for me going to college and having no choice but becoming independent. By becoming independent it can help you with finding your true self, how you work, and how you work with others. This experience taught me all of these things in a very short amount of time.

I think that becoming independent should be something that you earn before you leave for college, because this was extremely hard for me from being dependent on my family and then having to learn all there is to being independent in such a short amount of time. I believe that it would be a little easier to adapt to the college life if you have this before you leave for college. I think that getting this out of the way before you come to college gives you more time to study so that you can do well in classes and when you get studying out of the way you can have fun with all the new friends that you make when you come to college.