Jakayla - Leesburg, Indiana

I Believe in Setting Goals

It was a hot summer day and I had just arrived for my first gymnastics lesion at Lakeland Youth Center. It smelled like chalk and sweat, for a gymnast this is like heaven. I put my things in a cube on the floor and began stretching with the rest of my class. Somewhere in the middle of doing the splits I saw something I just had to have. It was a green leotard with about one hundred rhinestones on the front. I remember bit and pieces of the lesion but my mind was never off the leotard. At the end of practice I asked my instructor where you can get one of those. She said you have to be on the team. To be on the team you have to show hard work and dedication and also have a few difficult tricks mastered.

From that moment and through out the next few months that green leotard was all I could think of. I practiced morning and night anywhere I could. I practiced at recess and in my bed room. I gave my mom, grandma, and brother a black eye during this process by kicking them in the face while practice my back handspring. In the end I made the team and got the green leotard. The moment I was handed the green bag, warm ups, and leotard, was a moment unlike any other. All I wanted to do was continue to have this feeling. I do this by setting goals and reaching them.

I believe that through goal setting, my life has a direction. When I don’t have a goal to put my life in direction I feel like I am just going through the motions of life. I enjoy setting goals even those that are ‘outlandish’ to some. One of the best quotes I ever saw was, “Shoot for the stars because even if you miss you will still hit the moon”, author unknown. I also make goals such as; I will finish this paper my six o’clock. In doing this I continually am reaching for something. The satisfaction, emotional high and absolute gratification that comes from reaching a goal is how I continue going through life. It is through goal setting and obtaining those goals that I make strides in life. The harder the work required in obtaining my goals the bigger my satisfaction is. This important trait I have learned has formed my foundation for which I live.

I still have that green, velvet, one hundred rhinestone, leotard. I look at every now and then. After first thinking, ‘I used to be that small….what happened’. I remember how it felt the first time I put it on and slept in it, as if I was afraid it could all be a dream. Once I realized it was not dream, I wanted to some how continue to have this feeling. I made goals, some of which lead me to the state championship gymnastics meet in High School and others lead me to who I am today. No matter the goal, when I reached it; it was one of the best feelings I have ever felt!