Taylor - Trenton, Florida

“Two roads diverged in a wood and I – I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.”

This quote from Robert Frost’s poem has really affected me as both a student and a striving individual. Throughout my life, there has been a voice, subliminal yet strong, pushing me to do things others hadn’t. It is so imperative to me that I live up to this that I hate even the slightest urge to take ideas from others. When the above quotes states, “I took the one less traveled by…”, I take to heart its true meaning; the idea that it is a difficult choice to do what others haven’t. It is this, the power of choice, that I truly and deeply believe in.

When asked to write this essay, at first, discerning my beliefs was lacerated by the fact that virtually everyone would be writing about the same beliefs. This conclusion was simple to comprehend because my fellow peers and I held many of the same points of view, having attended the same school for most of our lives. Immediately after discovering this, I went about searching for some belief that would stand out amongst others as both unique and thought provoking. After spending a great deal of what could have been better spent time thinking about various beliefs, my attitude turned sullen for I had found none that were appealing. Unfortunately, it was then, in this type of situation, that I started to take a keen interest in other people’s ideas.

Much to my dismay, the ones that I heard were utterly dull. It was later, when standing in a fast-food restaurant line, that I found the perfect topic. When I was in the line, the young, collage-age couple behind me had engaged in a heated conversation between healthy and good tasting foods. At first, I must honestly admit that the argument was ridiculous. However, when I looked back on the event later, I realized that we all have to make choices. As my line of thought continued, I came to grasp that we all have been given a gift as humans. The ability and power to reason and choose is utterly incredible.

As humans, we naturally make choices as The Road Less Traveled illustrates. It is inevitable. In my life, the choices I’ve made have influenced what class level I’m placed in, what friends I have, and so forth. The choices I may have made to bring about current similar situations could have been as simple as whether I chose to do a homework assignment or whether I went to a friend’s party. Like I’ve said, we are all humans and we all make choices. The most important thing to bear in mind is that the decisions we make today are what shape our individual futures for tomorrow.

For example, one night not too long ago, I went to the fridge in the middle of the night for a snack. I was hungry to say the least, for I had been working on the final parts of a project for a solid five hours. Upon opening the metal textured door, my eyes were drawn to the pizza box on the top shelf. Without thinking, I grabbed it and soon thereafter had devoured the five pizza slices in the box. I went bed later smiling with a full feeling in my stomach.

The next morning came, and as always, I rose from my bed grumbling. I went about my various duties eventually coming to the part of the morning when I habitually make my lunch for the day. I went to the fridge in search of food for my lunch and soon found myself in a rather frustrating fix; there was no food suitable for a lunch anywhere in the human made ice-box. That day, due to other circumstances that were beyond my control, I braved the high school world without the regenerating properties of a lunch. I have since learned from that poor decision, the decision being my eating of the pizza, the only ‘suitable’ food in the refrigerator, the night before. This lack of forethought and planning on my part led to that poor choice. Sadly, the lack of forethought is evident in many humans. Therefore, many poor choices are made daily.

In many circumstances, choice is a big player in the outcome of both currently transpiring and future events. This is why I respect and believe in its power. As we come upon the two diverging roads, I think that we as humans need to analyze situations that require choices more carefully. If we do not, then we are practically withholding great power from ourselves. Furthermore, I do not believe in fate; it is ridiculous to me. I believe that through thoughtful choice, people are given the power to fabricate their own path, their own life. However, there is a kicker; can enough people grasp the concept of our great power and use it to their advantage? The choice is eternally theirs.