Manuel - San Antonio, Texas

I believe in yelling from rooftops.

3 weeks ago, my wife informed me that she was 12 weeks pregnant and that our second baby was well on the way. To say it was unexpected is to understate it. I was floored.

For the past few weeks I’ve been trying to shake that shocked look off my face, but the thought of bills, another college fund, , and more sleepless nights were stoking the fires of panic. For 3 weeks, my wife and I kept the baby news under wraps so that we could tell our parents in person. I was sworn to secrecy, and kept the news to myself as instructed by my wife. All the while, I was feeling more scared, worried, and more weighed down

The days passed and we finally gathered our parents to share the news. They’re reaction was as I expected it. They expressed excitement and offered their congratulations. Those bad feelings I mentioned earlier, however, weren’t dissipating and I was starting to feel guilt about not looking on the bright side of our baby’s arrival. But the next morning, while I was at work, something wonderful happened.

That morning I penned a short e-mail telling all our friends, family, and coworkers about our news. It only took 45 seconds for the first congratulatory e-mails to arrive at my inbox. After that, a few more trickled in, but then the flood gates opened and I was inundated with good wishes and pats on the back. It was a tsunami of congratulations.

At that very moment, those feelings of panic and guilt were swept away and I was awash in astounding peace. I’ve thought about why all of that guilt and negativity were suddenly replaced by peace and the answer is quite simple. It’s because I’m in love with my wife.

Every e-mail confirmed for me that we were genuinely being congratulated by people who’d seen us in action; as a couple. They’d seen us interact with our family. They’d seen us come together during tough times. They’d seen us helping friends. They’d heard her talk. They’d witnessed her kindness and smarts. They’d experienced first hand what I’ve experienced for many years: Her loveliness. And after being witnesses to all of this, they congratulated me for doing something that I couldn’t have done but for my wife and my love for her. And after reading all those congratulatory messages, I knew that everything would be alright.

I believe in yelling good news from rooftops because it gives the yeller a perspective that he would never have enjoyed but for the height of the roof. I was stuck on the ground thinking about the negative “what ifs” , but only until I climbed to the top of the roof and yelled “We’re having a baby!”, was I able to see my dilemma from a different angle. In fact, it wasn’t a dilemma at all, but a gift. My wife, the woman that I love, is going to have another beautiful baby, and I’m going to be a dad.

I hope you’ll excuse me, but I have another rooftop to climb