Ruth - Goshen, Indiana

Mama, You Are the Only One

I was only nine when mama taught me a big lesson the hard way. When I began understanding the world at a tender age, my mama taught me how to be honest and also to tell the truth no matter the cost. I was taught to be honest to God, others and also be honest with myself. As I grew up, I kept to these traits and I am grateful for my mother for teaching me these traits. She is the only one who was really honest with me on everything about this life. I believe in honesty and truth and this is my way.

I was in grade 3 when I learned my lesson. The school where I attended requested students to bring water to school for cleaning. The school did not have water and each student was to bring water in a container two times week. We used plastic cooking oil containers to take water to school.

One day, I thought that one of the student’s containers looked good than mine because it came from a different brand that we never used at home. I decided to take it home so I could bring water in it the next time we had to bring water. As soon as I laid my backpack down plus my new found container, my mother asked me about the strange container. My answer was that I found it at school. She asked me where my container was and I said that it had gotten lost.

“That’s stealing” she said wildly.

If only I knew what was to befall me, I would not have brought it home. She made me say that if I taking someone’s thing without their permission was stealing. I had to say this ten times. I tried to justify myself and told her that it was a used plastic container and so it wasn’t something important. She told me that if something was not in the wastebasket, then it was important to the owner. She told me that I needed to return the container to the same sport where I had picked it and I surely did.

My mama taught me how to trust in God for providence. She had me memorize the book of Mathew seven, seven which is still in my brains today. She insisted that when we need something, we need to ask and it shall be given unto us. I have lived on this wonderful scripture and surely my mama remains the only one who showed me the light to many things.

Although my mama is no longer living, I still cherish her. I see a lot of her in me. I sometimes ask why I do certain things certain ways but then I realize that my mama had a big impact on my life. Thanks mama for teaching me to be honest to God, honest to others and honest to myself. She told me that we can never hide or lie to God and to ourselves. Now that I am a grown up, I have found the benefits of honesty. I believe in honesty and truth and this is my way.