Nicholas - Woodridge, Illinois

(Singing) I believe I can fly. I believe I can touch the sky…No wait, sorry, wrong speech. (singing) I believe in miracles you sexy thing. No, that’s not it either. It is something else that I believe. What I believe in has the power to soothe the soul, relax the mind and body, and bring friends together. What is it that I believe? It can best be expressed and understood in a story.

The weekend had arrived along with its potential for work-free fun. Nonetheless, I could not help but agonize over all the homework due the upcoming week and my insistence on procrastinating. I was tired…no, I was dog-tired, beat, bushed, worn out, drained, exhausted, totally and utterly pooped.

The previous weak had not been easy. A typical day that week consisted of waking up early, arriving to school half asleep then having to concentrate through seven unbearable school hours. Afterwards, I would attend a two and a half hour basketball practice.

I would see little of the light of day because I got to school before the sun had truly risen and would go home in the dark. Coming home exhausted and hungry, I would devour my dinner. Bed time would not come until after showering and homework. The following morning I would wake up even more deprived of sleep than the day before.

It was after such a week that I found myself depressed and stressed and unable to relax. It was in this state that I found my brothers watching a movie. The movie, titled “Airplane,” was not one I knew, but thought I would try watching. For those of you who haven’t seen it, these quotes from Airplane may provide an idea of its genre.

As they take their seats, a lady passenger notices that the man next to her seems preoccupied. So she asks him: “Nervous? Yes! First time? No, I’ve been nervous lots of times.”

Later on a flight attendant calmly speaks over the intercom: There’s no reason to become alarmed, and we hope you’ll enjoy the rest of your flight. By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane? It thought it was pretty funny.

I started to chuckle… then laugh. After a short time I found myself laughing uncontrollably. I even had tears rolling down my eyes. The release that laughter provided in me that day can only be described as magical.

I believe laughter has the power to make one feel better physically, emotionally, and mentally. I do not think that there is anyone who can explain the ability of laughter to have such altering effects on a person, but I don’t think it matters either. What matters is that is does.

Laughter is nature’s gift to us. I know that in my serious life and in my serious attitude, I would struggle much more without laughter. Laughing with another builds the relationship, brings two people closer, and heals old wounds. Every once in a while it is necessary for a person to step back and look at all the pain, hardships, and stress in his or her life, and laugh. That is what I believe.