Kassandra - Greeley, Colorado
Themes: prejudice

I may only be in high school, but I have had many experiences in my life. This one sticks out very vividly though. I believe that you shouldn’t judge people. When you hear prep, punk, druggie, or emo, you automatically stereotype these people and put them into different categories in your mind, just because you’ve heard things about them.

My friend, Rhandee, taught me that looks can be deceiving. When I first met her, I looked at her and first thing I thought was, “I’d never be her friend. She probably smokes, does drugs, parties and gets in a lot of trouble.” Let’s just say I didn’t want to be her friend and thought she was a freak.

A few weeks later, I met her at a church I was visiting. I had so much fun and actually talked to her and got to know her. We laughed so hard together. I quickly found out that she wasn’t what I thought she was. She was a funny, sweet, and kind person. This just went to show me that I was wrong to judge her and label her before I even knew her.

Just because someone dresses a certain way or looks a certain way, doesn’t mean that you can stereotype that person. I became good friends with Rhandee. I also helped her get through some rough times in her life. I was being a good friend and ended up being the only one there for her at times. I would have never had the great times in my life if I hadn’t gotten to know her. I also would have never learned some of the lessons in life if I had just assumed her being a druggie. She is now one of my best friends.

This I believe to be true. You should never just judge someone and leave it at that. Always get to know them and give them a chance to show you the real them. You can miss out on so much in life if you judge people.