Tyler - Evans, Colorado
Themes: sports

Personal Essay: Tyler Hornback

Ever heard the saying, “It’s not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog”, well I’m a true believer in this saying and I live my life by it.

I believe in this through self experience. If you know anything about me you know I play football in two positions, both of which I’m undersized for; guard and linebacker.

The everyday high school guard weighs about two hundred pounds or more and is around six feet tall. I’m five feet, nine inches tall and weigh only 150 pounds: you do the math, I’m small. Now not only am I undersized, as a guard it is my job to block the biggest of the defensive lineman: the defensive tackle, only six feet 200 plus pounds. Because I am the smallest lineman, the opponent intentionally puts their biggest defensive tackle on me. Think about these facts I’ve just given you and keep them in mind while listening to this.

I started as a guard on a junior varsity football team this year that went eight and two, and ran for well over two hundred yards per game in all but those two losses. That is great, especially for a junior varsity team made up mostly of sophomore players.

As long as you pay some attention to football you know that without a good line you cannot have a great running game, so it’s nice knowing I was a part of that good offensive line. Now, the belief I have is what helped me contribute to this awesome rushing attack.

Every game, on every play, I never think about my size disadvantage at all; the one and only thought in my mind is how I am going to beat my opponent. This attitude almost always gives me the result I want and as long as I kept fighting, sooner or later the guy across from me gives up and that’s when my fun really starts. It is at this point that I go even harder and either drive him to the ground or just throw him out of the way and find someone else to hit, the reason this happens is solely due to my all out effort and fighting the first part of the game.

Therefore, my belief supported, “It’s not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog.”