Mackenzi - Evans, Colorado
Themes: sports

With All My Heart

I’m sure you’ve heard the saying, “Give it your all.” I believe in giving every ounce of my heart when I have a deep desire to achieve something. I believe that when I want something bad enough, I can do it by simply slapping my heart on my sleeve and going full bore.

This past volleyball season, I was chosen to be one of the Junior Varsity players to go with our Varsity team to the State Tournament. As you can imagine, I was ecstatic! Every high school athlete’s dream is to go to State…and win! With the players we had and the skill level of the team, I thought for sure that we could make it to the top. From the bench, I started to notice the lack of care on the court as our first game began. I couldn’t believe the way they were playing; it was depressing! At that moment, I decided to give all of my heart. True, I was a bench warmer not getting to play. Other players rarely acknowledged my voice when trying to pump them up, yet I was going to give them an earful. I decided to warm the bench in a new style: with passion! I cheered my heart out and gave the team everything I could to encourage them and maybe spark a little fire in their hearts. Unfortunately, my efforts were futile, and we lost the game. Later that day, I even noticed the sober attitudes off the court. The volleyball team that you would expect to be bubbly, talkative, and happy was somewhat emotionally detached. To no surprise of mine, not much changed the following day. Our coach gave us a pep-talk, which carried onto the court for a while, but faded a little later. But that wouldn’t stop me. I did as the day before and rooted my team on as hard as I could. Towards the end of the tournament, the coach must have noticed the few of us cheering on the end of the bench because she substituted us in one at a time. My hands were shaking, my palms were sweaty, and I felt like my heart was going to jump right out of my chest. I went in and when the ball came to me, I hit it over the net for a point. I was so thrilled! I felt like that one point was reward enough for me. Just that one point, that one rotation in, I knew all my hard work during the season had paid off. The game ended; we weren’t going any further in the tournament, but I learned a valuable lesson that day.

I learned that if I have enough heart, anything I work for, no matter what, will pay off. I can accomplish anything with my heart. I believe that if I bring out the fire inside, I will achieve anything I set my mind to.