Emily - Baltimore, Maryland
Themes: setbacks

I believe in failure. I trust in the negative emotions, the heart-wrenching realities, and the gloomy overcasts. I credit my failures as the path to my successes.

I compete with failure. I believe in the anger and frustration I have after being benched during a volleyball match. I believe that my failure inspires me to prove to my coach, my teammates, and myself that I can earn as many points as I may lose. I trust in my anger, acknowledging that my fury is contained within the more disciplined player that I become during practice. I shed my bottled frustration as I arrive earlier, hit harder, pass higher, serve better, and depart later. I believe that my failure is my motivation to prove to my coach and teammates my passion for the sport at which I aspire to excel.

I fight with failure. I believe in the hurt and irritation after the rejection of my ideas, my opinions, or my beliefs. I believe that the rejection of others does not discourage me, but encourages me to try harder, to accomplish more, and to prove my point of view. I trust in the blindness of others, recognizing that in my attempt to prove to them that my ideas and opinions have a vision I learn to become a stronger advocate. I believe that my failure can strengthen my voice enough to one day open the eyes of those in ignorance.

I learn with failure. I believe in my mistakes. I believe that when I make a mistake, it teaches me to become a better person. I trust that my errors help me shape my beliefs on what is right and what is wrong. I trust that when I risk too much, my mistake reconstructs the boundaries that I demolish. I also trust that when I do not risk enough and I play it safe, I could miss an opportunity. I believe that failure is my best teacher.

I believe in failure. I trust the heartbreaks, the sadness, the anger, the disappointment, the disgust, and the frustration. I trust the negative emotions inspired by failure to accomplish a positive outcome. I trust that my failures will drive me to try hard, to prove progress, to achieve triumph, and to fight relentlessly. I trust my failure. I believe that failure achieves success. This I believe.