Tiffany - dayton, Ohio

I believe that alcohol should have serious punishments within our law today. Alcohol is a type of drug that people can enjoy when they go out, it can make boring nights fun to some people, and it is a great way for businesses to make money. But, for some, it can ruin their lives. Many people do not even realize alcohol can be so detrimental to lives. However, it is a real issue that people struggle with. It is an addictive substance that can change lives.

Since I was a young girl both of my parents have struggled with alcoholism. It has been evident in their free time and their everyday lives that alcohol has passed the “just fun” stage. Both my mother and my father started drinking in high school, continued through college, and even after through their adult lives. Alcohol has caused many problems in my life, that I should not have to deal with. It has changed my teenage years to make these days full of responsibility and difficulties. Right now, my parents are going through a very ugly divorce that I get stuck in the middle of. I blame alcohol for this because alcohol is where it all began.

I believe alcohol should have stricter punishments because of the things I have seen in my life. Today, if a high school student is caught with alcohol, not much happens. They may have to go to a small room in court, talk about what happened, and simply get a slap on the hand with a warning. Occasionally some people may receive more. What is a warning going to do? Nine times out of ten I do not believe the consequences later in life will suddenly click to teenagers. It is scary because or both of my parents, their addiction to alcohol started when they were in high school. I would love to be able to have this problem stopped as soon as it begins. I know it is hard to stop all people from drinking alcohol, but I really think there should be stricter punishments for kids that get in trouble with alcohol. It’s almost like police expect teenagers to have alcohol. I believe alcohol should be treated as a very serious issue. It can cause just as many problems as drugs, and drugs do have more punishments and usually they are looked at as a pretty big deal. For these reasons, this I believe.