Richard - Richmond, Kentucky
Themes: work

Sometimes it is hard to follow your dreams or to pursue your personal goals in life. Problems such as family, finances or even time may constrict and distort your goals and dreams into something more practical. Even though at times there are constraints on how or when we accomplish something, I believe if you take ambition to pursue your real dreams, you will live a much happier life.

When I was fifteen years old and a sophomore in high school my family and I moved away from the town I was raised in and the school I was attending. I voiced my concerns to my parents about how hard it would be to make the transition from the high school I was attending to a new school during the middle of my high school career. My parents advised me to talk to my school counselor about my problem and maybe get some suggestions as to what I should do. My advisor told me that my grade point average was high enough, and if I wanted to go ahead and take my GED, the school district would allow it. I agreed to this idea, as well as my parents, because they knew how badly I wanted to begin work and start to build my life. I took the test and ended up making above average scores on the GED.

After passing the test, I immediately wanted to begin a career. I’ve always knew that I wanted to work in healthcare, so I decided to start off at the bottom until I knew exactly where I wanted to go in life. I started working at a nursing home as an orderly while I decided what I wanted to do with the rest of my life. Three years passed while I worked at this nursing home and I still hadn’t made up my mind as to what I wanted to do. All I knew was that I wanted to work in healthcare and that I wanted to get a Masters or Doctorate degree because I knew I was capable of completing such a goal.

I began college at the age of nineteen, not knowing exactly what I wanted to do. I was introduced to the world of Respiratory Therapy by my brother, who was a recent graduate of the program. The whole concept of therapy intrigued me. At the age of twenty-one, I entered the Respiratory program, and to my surprise I enjoyed it and was actually good at it. Also, I was the first tutor to be established into this program which made me feel really good about myself. While finishing up my education in Respiratory Therapy, a friend opened up to me the world of Occupational Therapy. My friend described to me what Occupational Therapy entailed and that this degree was a Masters degree with the option of a Doctorate degree. I thought about what my friend told me, and after a few days something in my brain just clicked. Finally, after many years of trying to find myself, I finally did it. I found what I wanted to do with the rest of my life. I finished up my degree as a Respiratory Therapist and graduated with honors. I was then rewarded with a scholarship to attend a university where an Occupational Therapy program was offered.

Now I am twenty three years old and I finally know where my life needs to go. I just started school at the university and I have never been happier. I finally have discovered my dream and now I have the capabilities to live it. I owe everything I have accomplished in my life so far to “ambition.” If I didn’t have the ambition to accomplish my goals and dreams, I would be a very unhappy person living a life I know I would regret. I have three and a half years to go and my dreams will be complete. All I need is the ambition to strive for the best and it will take me far.