Eric - Metairie, Louisiana

I believe in belief. When I was young I read in psychology texts that what we perceive as the world around us is a result of the filtering that our beliefs effect on our sensual perception of what’s really out there around us. In the strange vicissitudes of life I have noticed that I consciously perceive only a part of my environment. Beliefs color perception as my physical eyes see only the visible spectrum of light although there are many other wavelengths above and below the visible. Television and radio broadcasts never stop, but I can perceive them only when I have a television set or radio turned on to a particular channel.

I believe that I and all people have a set of spiritual senses as well as my familiar set of physical senses. As I studied deeper into psychology and human energy, I discovered the chakras, spiritual sense organs. I practiced various exercises to awaken my spritual senses and the world around me began to look different. I actually could see things around me that I couldn’t see before practicing the exercises. There were many distractions, but it occured to me as I explored this expanded perception that love is what I want most, to increase my capacity to give and receive love.

I believe that I am Soul. The more I try to analyze this seemingly meaningless world, the more I feel that I am just a tenant here for a short time. Looking inwardly, I see that I have a physical, an emotional, a mental and an intuitive body, each with its own rules and functions. But my True Self is my Soul Body. I have perceived these bodies by keeping a dream diary for over 12 years. In dreams, I have come to perceive, through the links between daily life and the dream life, that I am Soul and that Soul is made of love.

Also in the course of paying attention to dreams, I have found inner teachers who are willing to help one to find the way to greater spiritual awareness. I have found that these inner teachers respond to sincere requests for help. But when they show up, we have to believe what we see and hear if we want to keep growing. That’s the only way I have been able to keep up my dream diary for so many years. Reading Carl G. Jung helped too. The upward evolutionary spiral seems to me to be belief and experience feeding each other’s momentum. Whenever I remember that I am Soul, I experience happiness, no matter how senseless the world seems. I’m just passing through, and that makes me happy. This I believe.