Michelle - San Luis Obispo, California

I believe goals can be reached, especially the ones that seem unreachable.

During my sophomore year of high school I decided friends were more important than my grades. Once my friends started driving, we decided as a group that it wouldn’t be too bad to ditch class after lunch occasionally. Occasionally, soon turned into frequently, and before I knew it, I forgot about my goal of going away to college, and it cost me.

At the time I was taking a couple AP classes along with chemistry which were way over my head; within the first month of school I had two D’s. For those who don’t know, D’s do not stand for degree and are not acceptable when applying to college. I blamed my grades on the teachers and gave up, not realizing that all I was doing was hurting myself. It wasn’t until I was assigned an English paper on what my goals were for the rest of my high school years that I decided if I wanted my goals to be accomplished, I needed to make some changes.

I chose to take responsibility for my bad choices and asked my parents for some guidance. I decided I wanted to switch to a new high school. I knew if I wanted to do better academically I needed new friends; friends who also had dreams of going to college, not friends who ditch school, take drugs, and drink alcohol all the time. Switching high schools was one of the best decisions I’ve made.

Fortunately, the transition was successful; I made new friends and was soon earning A’s in all my classes. My cumulative GPA ended up being a 3.8 and due dates for college applications were approaching. The college of my dreams was Cal Poly San Luis Obispo; I have always loved the school, the location, and how close it is to my family members. The only problem with Cal Poly is that thousands of other students feel the same way I do about the campus, which makes the odds of getting in slim.

To make a long story short, I got into Cal Poly; I am gladly attending the school for my second year, with a new goal of graduating from college in four years. I like to compare my high school situation to driving; sometimes when driving I get lost, so ill pull over and look at a map, and think about what I might have done wrong; sometimes ill even ask for help, but eventually I figure it out and make it to my destination. By me getting accepted to Cal Poly, it lead me to believe goals can be reached, especially the ones that seem unreachable; sometimes it just takes hard work and determination.