Rickey - san antonio, Texas

I believe that struggle is necessary for a people to overcome the limits placed upon them. The limits of color, how and where they arrived, are only limitation emplace to control those who are weak and those who need another to point a finger.

Growing up during the civil rights movement of the 60s I attended Mass Meeting with my father, and stood with crossed arms holding hands singing we shall overcome made me believe that anything was possible. That there was a better life out there because those I looked up to were willing to give their lives for it. But what I did not know was that they were strengthening me to withstand pressure from anyone and society.

Today I hear songs and listen to conversation defending usage of non positive words as terms of endearment, this hurts and insult me. I listen to younger men and women defending insulting each other for the purpose of making large sums of money.

I watch society lessen it morals behavior because they can, not because they should. To those who feel moral fiber is not necessary for continue evolution. I say to them ask you sister, brother, more important their parents and grandparents how they felt when words which lower them are used to identify who they are and who their children are.

As I watched a broadcast recently I became even more sadden to see the what appeared to have happen was that during the attempt to improve our economic environment we forgot to maintain an understanding and knowledge of history. Again the system of slavery was at work, it continues to rob a person of who they are and thus maintain control over them.

So I wonder during our attempt to become part of the mainstream did we somehow as a people forget who we are. Did we forget that it was not about the color of our skin which was used to do nothing more than divide and control, but about who we are as a people.

I believe it was an internal belief in which I was that my father and mother gave me as a child. It was the idea that I would attend college, it was the idea that I would be successful at whatever I put my mind too. This is the idea which continues to drives me and not the idea that sitting in the front of the bus was going to make me a better person. That seat was already mine because I was born and raised in a country which said it was my right.