Zak - Jesup, Iowa
Themes: sports

February 12, 2007 I believe in golf, although it’s “just” a sport. T.V. shows this wonderful sport at the highest level, performed to the best it can be done. I’ve watched golf for years but it has never shown what I’ve learned from golf.

This last summer I played a lot of golf at the competitive level. The beginning of summer was started playing all day everyday. Throughout the many rounds of golf I met a lot of new people and made a lot of friends. On a regular day basis I played with people ranging form fifteen all the way up to 72. I would have never experienced a great situation of playing and meeting all these great people if it were not for golf. This was a great lesson learned, I have always thought you learn the most from people older than you, and this made that true.

Later on that summer I competed in the club tournament. All the members play in this, including the best of the best. Going into the tournament I was very unsure of myself but my dad kept ensuring me I would do fine. The tournament is a two day tournament and on the day of the tournament I was very nervous. The tournament was coming close to the end and my dad kept me calm. In the conclusion of it all I shout the best score of my life and placed myself in the top ten.

Not only was placing top ten a big deal to me because of the way I played, it also increased my power in myself. The lessons I learned that day, that summer, was one that will stick with me a lifetime. The lessons learned not only dealt with the skill of my golf game, but mostly in people. Golf has taught me many different things. I have learned that most people are really your biggest fans, not your enemy. As much as people like beating someone they love watching a person succeed.

Golf is a game that teaches not only to compete, but to learn about people. As they say, golf is a gentleman’s game. This is why I believe in golf.