Karissa - Jesup, Iowa
Themes: change

I believe…

I believe that everything happens for a reason because things are meant to happen to teach us a lesson. That even though bad things happen, if we learn from it and look to the good side of things, it will turn out okay in the end.

When I was about three years old my parents got divorced. Growing up I never understood why I had to go back and forth to see my mom one week and my dad every other weekend. It made me sad and I began to think that it was all my fault that my parents didn’t love each other. I would see other children with both of their parents and wondered why my family was different. I began to believe that it was my fault and that it was the worst thing in the world and things would never turn out good.

A few years later my mom remarried and had my brother. Things weren’t going the best at home and they fought a lot. A couple years later they got divorced and my mom, my brother, and I moved to Des Moines. My mom was going through a really hard time and I was her support. I was in first grade and it was a struggle having to go to school and act like everything was okay. I remember I would spend days being in the counselor’s office crying, because I thought nothing would ever be okay again. My mom worked all the time trying to support herself and her children, so we didn’t see her as much as we wanted to. My mom and I would get into arguments because I hated being there, and nothing was going right.

A few months later I noticed a change in my mom. She was smiling again, which made me happy. That was when she met my step dad, Pat. When the school year was over, we packed up and moved to Pat’s hometown in Jesup. Things started to look up.

A few years later my mom married Pat. I had never seen my mom so happy. She had finally found the right guy, and now they have a little girl together.

Looking back on everything that happened, it taught me that things are able to turn out okay. If you just take the time to look on the good side of things, keep a positive attitude when things aren’t going good, then eventually things will work out on their own. It just proves that things really can work out okay, and everything does happen for a reason to teach us a lesson in life.