Kayla - Jesup, Iowa

I believe in being responsible. I think that being responsible makes you a better person. My mother is the most responsible person I know. She is never late, never wrong, and very organized. When I was young I was always organized and ready to go, never late, and my bag and lunch were always packed every morning. At home everything is always in its place. As I grew up, you’d think I would have turned out responsible just as my mother raised me to be, but I am far from it. My room and car is always a mess, along with my bag. I can never find anything when I need it. I am constantly late for work and school. I am always having trouble with computers and saving files. It’s a constant hassle. I am always in a hurry. Sometimes I wish life would just slow down.

I think that by being irresponsible, I am always behind everyone else. I have made it my New Year’s resolution to become a more responsible person. So far I am having trouble, but I haven’t given up and I don’t intend to until I feel that I am more responsible. I think that if I become more responsible I can get ahead and maybe sleep a little easier at night, just knowing that I have everything in line and have nothing to worry about.

I think that success comes with responsibility. Almost every girl’s dream is to marry a rich man and live the glamorous life. But for me I would rather become successful on my own. Not only would it prove to people that I can do something, but it would make life more meaningful and worth living. It takes so much to truly be responsible. I know what my mom means when she said “just wait until you’re responsible for things.” There’s so much to remember when you get older, and when your mom’s not there constantly on you, you don’t remember and have to become responsible for yourself.

Parents set expectations for their children, like getting good grades, getting their chores done, or making a curfew. These are all in hopes of teaching their children responsibility. They set rules and limits, to teach them examples.

Being irresponsible can damage your relations with other people. If you are always late for work your boss sees you as less dependable. If you’re late for school, your teachers don’t see you as a responsible person. Being late when meeting your friends, can damage your friendship, your friends will get tired of always waiting on you.

One of the pillars in character counts is responsibility. I feel that this is important as character counts is now taught to small children, who will pick up this information better. It’s a good program for kids. Teaching them what a responsible person is and does, how one behaves, how being irresponsible can damage relationships, and that being a responsible person makes better friendships.